Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

A Day With My Dad

When I moved back home last year I moved in with my parents.  They are giving me some time to stay with them to help me get back on my feet after my separation.  As difficult as it may be to move back in with your parents when you're almost 30, it has also been great to spend some time with them as adults and appreciate my parents more than I did when I moved out 11 years ago after high school.


Very shortly after I moved home my dad was diagnosed with cancer.  It has been a great blessing moving in when I think my parents needed us (the kids and I).  My dad and I don’t spend a lot of ‘quality’ time together but today … on this beautiful Sunday afternoon … my dad took me out for a drive through the prairies showing me the homestead of where his family settled and where he grew up.  He named every farm (for what seemed liked miles) and told me little stories along the way.








Cancer is scary stuff and even when they are doing well, it's still really hard on the patient, and also difficult on the family.  I have watched both my parents struggle over the last year but am happy to say that my dad has been so strong and is fighting his battle well!  I love my dad so much, he’s always been there for me when I've need him most.  It was so nice to spend time together and I will always be grateful and thankful for having such a nice man to call my dad.

“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you”
 Exodus 20:12


No comments:

Post a Comment